Thanks for visiting my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment. Let's learn together!

I am still learning.
Michelangelo

Monday 2 July 2012

Virtual Studies: Freedom But Responsibility

I have, so far, completed 60 credits virtually (Educational Science). This is now the second virtual course I am taking. I have already now noticed huge differences in these two courses, and learned how to make studying virtually, even more efficient and more fun.


Studying when it suits you

Studying virtually is an interesting way to learn. It is also almost the only possible way to study if you are a mother of young children. Since the only time to study is in the evenings and at the weekends, you cannot really attend any lectures during the day. My husband travels a lot, so evening courses would mean finding a regular baby sitter. Studying would become a bit too expensive!

With virtual studies you can find the lectures and materials online. Just sit down and study when you have got time! Sounds easy, but I assure you - it is not. I can hardly remember the time I used to watch television daily. Sometimes I try to read other than study books. It is my way to relax. But all in all - you still have to find the time to study even though you can decide when and where you do it! 


Not for an easy-life-seeker

Virtual studies require more from a student than the traditional methods in my opinion. As a student you do not just have to take the responsibility in achieving the expected learning outcomes but you also have to find out what is expected. It is easy to drop out since no-one will come to your home to tell you how to study. You really have to schedule your studies and try to find the motivation to start one new course after another. Virtual studies are not for a person who wants to get maximum results with minimum input.


A lone wolf

Sometimes studying virtually can be lonely and finding support is difficult. I think learning occurs within a social context. At least I want to share my thoughts and ideas with others, and learn from other people. When completing the Educational Science studies I felt lonely. The learning platform was not active in a social way. I completed all the tasks alone and did not know the other students. I did get some feedback from the lectures but that was pretty much all. I think the Vocational Teacher Education will be much better when it comes to involving students socially. Having group support and people to share your thoughts makes studying even more fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment