Thanks for visiting my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment. Let's learn together!

I am still learning.
Michelangelo

Tuesday 9 October 2012

The Second Virtual Session: Project Learning and Progressive Inquiry; Virtual Teaching

The second online session is over! I have to say the presentation itself went much better than last time. This time we had less material, and I was able to cover it in 30 mins. We got also good feedback about our teaching methods, which was obviously nice.

Even though the presentation went well, I would still change something. I would not divide the tasks so much between the group members. It was complicated to teach a topic you had not really discovered yourself. Next time collaborative learning is the key word!

Another group used Popplet for discussion. It was great to test something totally new. I am not sure Popplet is that great for discussion but I am happy they showed it to us. I learned two things from that:

1. Never be to shy to try something new. So what if it does not work?
2. Popplet could be used for brainstorming when starting Project learning or Progressive Inquiry (or even working on our next task).

It was also interesting to learn a bit from Project Learning and Progressive Inquiry. Although I was hoping for more theory concerning those two methods! Both of them seem to be learner-centered methods that support collaborative learning and networking. (Development of Learning Theories,Project-Based Learning.) 

I think I will try them one day in teaching, at least Progressive Inquiry which seems to be further developed. I think it will take a few times to run a course with this method before I can really say I know what I am doing. It would also be good to have a mentor when teaching with this method for the first time. Networking with other teachers from different subjects would be a good idea, too. I think we are not co-operating enough with our colleagues when working on a project. Wouldn't it be great to have a project that combines 2-3 different subjects and even business life? I can see Progressive Inquiry being a great method for this kind of collaboration.

One group taught us about virtual teaching and how teaching can be enriched in it. Interesting topic! The use of technology provides many opportunities to enhance a lecture. According to Oliver Knill (2003), one should still remember the following pitfalls when bringing technology into a classroom:


  • Technology should not be used for the sake of using technology.
  • Enrichment which focus on simplistic concepts only offend the intelligent mind.
  • Too much technology can be like adding too much salt to a well prepared dish.
  • A class or online demonstration should be memorable, fun and still easy to use.
  • Avoid monitoring students learning process online.
  • Can't replace the direct student-teacher interaction.
  • Preparing a class using technology needs lots of time.
  • Be aware of changes in technology.

I found an interesting Wiki which provides information of using technology in teaching. According to them, a teacher can use technology in many ways, such as:
  • design and deliver learning 
  • enable students to search for information and learn to synthesise and use the information 
  • engage students in collaboration and open communication 
  • inspire students to use their imagination to create, innovate and design 
  • encourage students to reflect, and self and peer assess. 
This Wiki also gives examples how technology can be used as teaching tools and activities as well as shows how to teach Shakespeare in new ways. (Effective Use of Technology in the Classroom.) It is worth to have a look at!

Anyhow, all the groups had improved their teaching skills a lot since the last session. It is interesting to see what and how we are taught next time. Hopefully every team is as brave as the team with Popplet was today!


References:


"Development of Learning Theories." Centre for Research on Networked Learning and Knowledge Building. Retrieved on October 9,2012 from http://www.helsinki.fi/science/networkedlearning/eng/delete.html

"Effective Use of Technology in the Classroom." Wiki. UNSW School of Education English Method Site. Retrieved on November 26, 2012. from http://unswict.wikispaces.com/home
Knill, O. 2003. Enriching Teaching with Technology. Harvard University. Read 26.11.2012. http://www.math.harvard.edu/~knill/pedagogy/technology/w.pdf

"Project-Based Learning." Edutopia. Retrieved November 26, 2012 from http://www.edutopia.org/project-based-learning

3 comments:

  1. i agree. much improvements, discussions and tutor presence. collaborative learning works a lot better.. I discovered that when cramming about progressive inquiry before the session. We learnt something - again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree, it went much better. About enriching teaching in virtual learning, it went kind of theoretical. Idea was to get examples from others. I had some problems with time. Too much stuff to put in 40 minutes. Must focus more next time.

    They had good example in COFA online about enriching lecturing. In chemistry they used device to collect students answers in task (multiple choices). Lecturer didn't tell which was right. Students talked/teached each other how to find correct answer.

    Lecture material and tasks were also released in internet, so one could review them later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janne - don't take me wrong. I think you were great! =) I totally agree with you about trying to say everything you want + be interactive in the given time is challenging! Something I need to get better at, too. I felt as if I was rushing some of my slides.

    In real world: you can always go back to the same topic with your students in the next session, if it feels that there was not enough time for discussion. =) Our online sessions are maybe a bit fake. Luckily we have blogs where to discuss.

    I liked your video btw!

    ReplyDelete